Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Cute, The Weird, and The Creepy

...But YOU DECIDE which is which!!
Now, I think you have to be just a little off your rocker to work at a custom cake shop like Sugarlips. Just mildly wacky. So when a customer says they'd like a cake shaped like a yellow Speedo, you just nod and calmly ask what flavor.
And my sincere apologies for the lapse in blogs; it has been beyond busy here at the cake shop! I resolve to get my rear-in-gear, blog-wise! Without further ado...

HEADED TO COUGARTOWN!
Yep, my pal Lesa insisted upon a cougar cake for her BIG 4-0! Although we thought the leopard print might get the point across, if that makes any sense... my favorite part is when she asked for "surprised skulls" on the top tier. Hey, we're Sugarlips, we can handle that. (Rawr!)

TO HAND AND TO HOLD???
I hand some mixed feelings about this request, and I could have really used a hand on hand-modeling these fondant appendages, but I really hand to hand it to myself on the final handiwork. And congrats to Mr. Yee for securing the hand of such a fine young woman. Let's all give him a big hand.
Note: No hands were actually severed during the making of this cake.


I'LL BET THEY WERE LICKIN' THEIR CHOPS...
...when THIS little number was unveiled at the company birthday party. Yes, this was a corporate cake for "November birthdays". That's all the woman said when ordering a porkchop-shaped cake for 40 people, to be delivered to an office building, for a company that has nothing to do with pork. Hey, "don't ask, don't tell", that's what I always say.

ELEPHANTS NEVER FORGET...
And I'll never forget how cute this little guy turned out. Modeled after a buttercream cake our client found on a cake decorating website, where hobbyists send in their creations. Wish you could see his little 'bum' and tail from this shot; almost cuter than the front view.

DRUNKENLY EVER AFTER
I am only poking good-natured fun at this one; I thought this couple's idea was a total riot! Seriously folks, a good sense of humor will get you VERY far in a marriage, and this couple has it in spades. A Halloween Night reception, with a buttercream-iced topsy-turvy cake. Fondant couple has "fallen" from the top where they should be and are now face-down in the icing, little champagne bottles still in-hand.
Notice also, the spooky tree, moon, and bats coming out of the top. I just loved this one. Oh heck, what am I saying, I LOVE THEM ALL!

1 comment:

  1. The elephant is straight from Horton Hears a Who! and the Wedding Hand cake is totally sweet!

    You really are an artist in your cakery.

    Josephine

    ReplyDelete